St. Ignatius of Loyola Church
St. Joseph Church at Bear Creek, near Wanblee, was the first camp church begun outside of Holy Rosary Mission and the Pine Ridge Agency. Built by Fr. Digman, S.J. in 1898, St. Joseph’s was the largest church in its area. William Randall was one of its catechists. When St. Joseph was torn down in 1960, St. Ignatius became the church for the Wanblee area. Built in 1912 by Jesuit Fr. Henry Grotegeers, S.J., St. Ignatius received its large addition in 1957. Early Catechists were Louis P. Mousseau and Edward White Crow.
- Fr. Rick Abert, SJ, pastor of Kyle, Wanblee and Allen districts
P.O. Box 229
Wanblee, South Dakota 57577