Our Lady of the Sioux Church
The first sod and log church in the village community of Oglala was also used as a meetinghouse. In 1916 Fr. Plasidus Sialm, S.J. built a frame church named St. Elizabeth's with $750 donated by a woman whose first name was Elizabeth. In the 1960s Fr. Paul Steinmetz, S.J. moved a church building located in the Wolf Creek community to Oglala. St. Elizabeth's became a meetinghouse, and the new church was named Our Lady of the Sioux.
On June 4, 1999, a tornado swept through the Oglala area destroying the Our Lady of the Sioux complex. On June 2, 2001, Bishop Blaise Cupich of the Diocese of Rapid City dedicated the new Our Lady of the Sioux Church, along with a new Brother Denny Ryan Center and Brother Rene Hall.
- Sister Barb Bogenschutz, O.P., parish life coordinator
- Louella Young Man - Office Assistant
- Laura Sierra - Housekeeping
- Fr. Joseph Daoust, S.J. - Sacramental Priest
P.O. Box 140
Oglala, South Dakota 57764
(605) 867-5673 (office)
(605) 867-1518 (church)
(605) 867-1182 (hall)
St. Bernard, Red Shirt Table